Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Frank Ocean - Novacane


I'm not usually late on the newest/hottest music releases but somehow I totally missed this one. Frank Ocean of "Odd Future Golf Wang Kill Them All" realeased a mixtape entitled "Nostalgia Ultra" back in Feburary and one of the songs on it was "Novacane". I think it's pretty hot, its been getting some radio play recently if you haven't heard it check it out below and let us know what you think.

Here's a little background on Mr. Ocean before you here his music courtesy of wikipedia:
"After Hurricane Katrina hit his hometown of New Orleans, Ocean moved to Los Angeles to pursue a recording career. There, he landed songwriting gigs for established artists and recording contract with Def Jam, where he went ignored. In protest, Ocean joined the rap collective OFWGKTA and self-released nostalgia,ULTRA. without any formal promotion. Ocean sings lyrics he penned over songs by Coldplay, MGMT, Mr. Hudson, and The Eagles. Ocean, when uploading the album to iTunes, labeled it as "Bluegrass" and "Death Metal", out of arbitrariness: "I don't want to seem like I have a cause against genres, or maybe I do...Bluegrass is swag. Bluegrass is all the way swag."
In his own words, Ocean describes the album as "Nostalgic. It's a longing for the past. That's what this record felt like." The lyrical content, according to Ocean, relates to heartbreak and other familiar tropes of interpersonal relationships: "I wasn't trying to make a record that people could relate to. I was just trying to make a record with the shit that I wanted to express. The shit that I wanted to get off my chest. [...] A lot of this record is influenced by one relationship, but I don't owe that whole project to one situation. It doesn't matter what the details of it are."






Download Nostalgia, Ultra

No comments:

Post a Comment